Week 6: Discoveries!

This past weekend it seemed like people were starting to get a little stir crazy and even downright antsy. I went for a run on a sunny day and saw more cars out than usual, and out-of-state plates, and more walkers on the sidewalk than usual. It was weird!

But we're still here, staying at home on Week 6 of the coronavirus pandemic. This is spring vacation week, so there's no remote schooling and I'm not doing any "specials" this week. But there have been some discoveries.

Discovery: Blueberry muffins!

 

Did you know that blueberry muffins can be made from scratch? You don't have to buy them ready-baked at the store. You don't even need to buy a box of mix and add eggs and oil. In these strange times, I have discovered that you can make blueberry muffins just from ingredients that you might have in your very own kitchen. (I really hadn't imagined it until a family member suggested it might be possible. Mindblowing.)

I used the recipe in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything

We usually have frozen blueberries--they should not be thawed

They look just like blueberry muffins!

There is a smidge of cinnamon in the batter that
makes the muffins quite delightful


Discovery: Walking around the block!

 

I try to get out of the house at least once a day! The nearby love sheep (formerly lawn sheep) are in the midst of some kind of coronavirus containment process. Seriously, here's a picture.

I don't know

Discovery: I have something on my calendar! 


I signed up for ONE race this year, and I got an email this week that is has not (yet) been cancelled. So I may (or may not) have something to look forward to at the end of May! I had assumed the race would not happen... but if it does take place, I'll go just for fun. If it gets cancelled in the next few weeks, I'm OK with that too.

Discovery: Sock wrestling!


There's nothing better to take your mind off the state of the world and get you right into the present moment. Sock wrestling is a simple yet bracing game where you and an opponent get on hands and knees on the floor, then attempt to remove the other person's socks without having your own removed. Rules: don't touch the head or face. Also, no biting (a new rule that had to be added).

It's recommended to make sure each person's
socks are similarly loose, to be fair


Discovery: Harry Potter movies!

 

OK I've seen all of these, but not everyone in the family has, so we are re-watching them after finishing Lord of the Rings a few weeks ago. However I really really dislike He Who Shall Not Be Named, so that means I am kind of skipping most of 4, 5, 6, 7a and 7b. But I really liked movies 1, 2 & 3. Also I'm very proud of our kids who insisted on reading the books before seeing the movies. We had to get The Deathly Hallows from eBay to make that happen, but it happened!

We also have the last 2 movies somewhere


There are now 823 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Vermont.

No comments: