Homemade Granola with Nuts, Seeds & Candied Ginger

 

Whenever I get into a routine of stocking and restocking a certain grocery store item--buying it again and again, basically--I wonder if I should figure out how to make that item myself. For example, for many years I've been buying locally made granola. It is delicious and crunchy and full of different nuts and seeds, but it is also packed in plastic and the price has been going up from 7 to 8 to 9 dollars a bag. Can't I make my own granola with less plastic and for a lower cost? 

I was also inspired by a friend who makes batches of granola at Christmas time and gives it as gifts, packed in mason jars with jaunty fabric on the lids. She uses candied ginger and it's such a treat to run across a bright burst of ginger in your morning oats. So, this is the story of learning to make my own granola, loaded with nuts and seeds and candied ginger. Most of these things can be purchased in the bulk section of the local natural foods store, so I feel like I'm reducing some plastic use. (Note that the jar of ginger shown below has been refilled with bulk ginger.)


A few tips for this granola: The basic premise is that you bake everything together EXCEPT the delicate coconut flakes and the cranberries and ginger. If you put the coconut in too early it will burn, so you just want to toast it ever so slightly. And the candied stuff doesn't need to be baked at all.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/3 cup pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc., roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch ground cloves (optional)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes (I like to use the wide ones)
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped

Assembly

Heat oven to 325F. Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, mix together oats, pumpkin seeds, and nuts.

Here's how much I chop the nuts--only a little bit

On stovetop, heat coconut oil and maple syrup until just warmed through. Add vanilla, salt, and cinnamon (and optional cloves) and stir to dissolve the salt as much as possible. (It may still be visible and that's okay.)

Mix the liquid together with the dry ingredients, getting most of the oats coated in the oil-syrup. Then spread the mixture onto the parchment paper, even things out, and slide into the oven.

 

Bake for 30 minutes, checking for toastedness. I like my granola to be just lightly golden, particularly the nuts. If you think it needs a bit more time, put it back and check again in 5 minute intervals. You can stir it around during baking whenever you like. 

Once it's the color you want, add the coconut flakes and bake for 2 more minutes (until the flakes are just browned on the edges). Remove from oven and set somewhere to cool.

When the granola is cool, mix in the cranberries and ginger pieces. Then store in a sealed container.

I like to eat my granola sprinkled over yogurt with fresh berries. It is my favorite breakfast!

No comments: