2019: The Kayak Diaries

One of my favorite things from 2019 is my kayak. I bought an inexpensive molded plastic kayak rather late in the season (mid-August). It has helped me have rare moments of peace and tranquility as I float and paddle on quiet waters here in Southern Vermont. I miss it so much now that it's winter, and can't wait to get back on the water in the spring.


October

Utter calm
Windy day with rushing water--
this was my last outing of the season


































I am grateful for every moment I get to be out on the water in my own boat on my own time. I know that I am lucky to have this.

A loved one suggested I compose haiku on my quiet paddles, so I did. I call them kayaiku.


Goose sound lifts with geese
Duck tribe breakfasts upside down
Night frogs call the dawn


Then I'm in the mist.
Clouds lie in the mountain's lap.
Grateful I wore wool.


Shallow shallow deep
Paddle paddle glide toward
That bridge then the next


Smack! Says beaver tail
I was marked an intruder
In the river mist


When it's warm morning
On your small tributary
Who cares for the sea

No comments: