8*14*02


Being a total geek I recently became addicted to Googlewhacking, a game in which you plug pairs of words into Google to find a single search result. I have spent a horrifying amount of time typing different pairs of words involving "camaraderie," "grosgrain," "lenticular," and "defenestrate" into Google to see what comes up. There is a googlewhack rule that if the single search result is a dictionary or list of obscure words, it doesn't count. If you find a single match, earn a brief moment of fame by entering it on the googlewhack website where it will perch at the top of the list for about three seconds until someone else posts something.

This is a more exciting variation of my Books-in-Print game, which involved typing random ISBNs into a BIP database to see if I could come up with a legitimate one. I have done this for hours, and even cheated by using real publisher prefixes, but I have never been able to come up with a bona fide ISBN just by guessing.

Another exciting Google game I've invented: type a random phrase, in quotation marks, into Google and marvel at the galaxy of mad crap that's freely available on the web. I tried "I hired a detective," and Google offered the following intriguing matches:

*I don't want Mark to know that I hired a detective to find him as I have already been accused of stalking by the previous detective.

*I hired a detective, but there are so many Colemans, and Jim is a pretty common name. We narrowed it down to about a thousand," the drummer said.

*He never knew him, so I figured I'd find out more. I hired a detective to look into it for me. Selena (nervous): Oh that's great. Isn't it great, Buzz?

*You can’t stop me. Nothing can stop me. **** I hired a detective, the kind who thought his badge represented a job rather than any moral obligation.

*in vane. The goats were the next to help. The goats were selling well. And I hired a detective to come to the house. Told him the

*I hired a detective and he discovered that she had been stung by a bee while camping and had died of anaphylactic shock on the way to the hospital.

*I asked your friends to tell me if they knew where you were, they said they thought that you were ill. I hired a detective to try and find out where you are.

*WELL YOU NEVER REALLY LOVED ME AND YOU KNOW THAT THAT'S THE TRUTH I HIRED A DETECTIVE AND BABY HERE'S THE PROOF I PHOTO OF YOU DANCING WITH THE GUY DOWN AT THE

No comments: