Coco-nutty: 5 Bowl Salad


Funny story. I went to a potluck and my fellow diner took a big spoonful of what he thought was potato salad. But I could tell that wasn't a potato in mayo... it was a PIECE OF PINEAPPLE in something creamy. I ate the whole thing for him, dissecting the recipe as I went. Then I went online and found that it's usually called "5 cup salad." Since I'm more into guesstimating, I'm going to call this "5 bowl salad." It's a little desserty, a little kitsch-y. I'm submitting it to the A Fruit a Month--Coconut blog event, hosted this month by Tasty Palettes.

Ingredients
Aim for about a cup of each:
  • pineapple chunks
  • mandarin oranges
  • coconut flakes
  • sour cream (or use yogurt instead)
  • mini marshmallows

optional: chopped pecans



Assembly


Mix together gently but thoroughly.



That's it! You're done. Consider refrigerating for a few hours or more to let the yummy coconut really permeate the other ingredients. Needless to say, I recommend this as a good potluck dish. (If you want to make larger amounts, just keep the ratios 1:1:1:1:1, with as many or as few pecans as you like.)



No comments: