Ice cream machine!


As a summer gift to ourselves, we invested in an ice cream machine. We dithered so long about whether or not to buy that Cuisinart came out with a new model in the meantime, so we snatched that one. According to the review/comments, it makes a slightly less-soft or runny product than the earlier model, so that's good.



My first batch of ice cream was chocolate of course. I followed the recipe in the booklet that came with the machine. It was very simple--cocoa powder (I used Dutch process), sugar (I used light brown instead of dark brown and it seemed fine), vanilla extract and milk. Here's where I found that big advantage of making your own ice cream: you can customize the fat content and the dairy (or non-dairy) source. Instead of using 1 cup of whole milk and 2 cups of cream, I used 1 cup of raw milk and 2 cups of 2%. The resulting "ice milk" was excellent--rich chocolate flavor, nice not-too-soft texture, and oh my goodness the excitement of making my own ICE CREAM. Also I bet it is cheaper than store-bought. Perhaps I was addled but I thought it cost about $1.50 to make a quart.

May this be the first in a long series of fabulous ice cream adventures.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I'm so jealous. As I've mentioned, the Mr. says "no" to an ice cream machine because he thinks we (he) would get fat. Perhaps I will have to try this "you can control the fat" angle on him...

Happy Ice Cream Making!

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Thanks VW! I think if Mr. VW eats ice cream at all, you could try selling him on the low-fat angle for sure, AND the "it pays for itself" angle too! Fresh ice cream is soooo good!