Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream


OK, we caved. We started making custard ice cream. We use PLENTY of egg yolks for silky smooth super creamy batches. (I was trying to go eggless over the summer, but the time came to branch out.) The first custard batch was plain chocolate, from David Lebovitz's acclaimed ice cream recipe book The Perfect Scoop.

Above is pictured our current batch from the same book--Guinness-Milk Chocolate. It is good! The first few bites tasted of both the chocolate and the stout. Then the flavors melded and became a delicious milk chocolate confection with an extra special tang.

So--thoughts on how to use egg whites? I know about egg white omelettes and angel food cake...

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I need to make that ice cream. Now.

For leftover egg white, you can make meringue cookies (which I've tried, with success), or macarons (which I'm too scared to try).

Unknown said...

Mmm - looks yummy! Our local ice cream shop does a Guinness batch every year around St. Paddy's day and it's pretty good - but I bet the milk chocolate makes it even better!

As for the egg whites - no specific ideas to add, though I would note you can usually use 2 egg whites in place of 1 whole egg in baked goods.

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Vicki, thanks for the egg white ideas--meringue anything is an excellent idea!

VW, wow, I would like to taste just plain Guinness ice cream too. Maybe have the chocolate on hand though to finish off with though! Did not know that about baking replacements, thank you!