Swedish Pancakes

We inherited a pile of cast iron pans. I Googled how to restore rusty ones, then checked out the pile on the garage floor. (That curved blade on the upper left is part of a SCYTHE. Why do we have a scythe??)



First I checked if any were Lodge brand, of which I own 4 other cast iron items. I am very dedicated to Lodge! But they were not Lodge.


 

Next I spread them out for a better look. Several of the pans were not so much rusty as crusty--with baked-on gunk clinging in a stubborn black layer that would take a ton of elbow grease to remove.



 

I settled on restoring this one pan that has 7 shallow indentations. I scrubbed it with steel wool to remove rusty spots. Then I washed it and dried it thoroughly. Next I covered it with spray-on canola oil and placed it in a 350-degree oven for an hour. The oil baked on in a shiny layer.



Next I went back to Google to find out what the pan is actually for. It turns out to be a "Swedish pancake pan." That makes total sense, as the person we inherited it from had a proud Swedish heritage. So I put it to use for our Sunday morning pancakes. In the above photo I'm cooking up our favorite Bob's Red Mill 10-grain pancake mix.





The little, perfectly round pancakes are super adorable! Shown here with sweetened Vermont whipped cream, my children's favorite pancake accompaniment.

This was a great garage find! Have you found any garage treasure, or used your elbow grease lately?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I lived in Sweden, I used to make "svensk pancaker" in my cast iron skillet. They were large, and VERY flat, with lacy outer rims, like a French crepe.
The recipe was mjolk (milk) and flour, sugar, some salt, and not much else. After they were done, you could roll them up and put powdered sugar on them, or the best way, you added lingon sylt (like cranberry sauce but made from Swedish lingon berries---you can find it at IKEA). The day that it is traditional to eat these is Torsdag (Thursday) in Sweden. You also make yellow pea soup to go with. It's a very traditional Swedish Thursday thing. They serve it at the universities there on those days.

Anonymous said...

Are all of the pans shown from Sweden? Perhaps the big flat pan is for the large pancakes described by Anonymous, above?

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate knowing about the Swedish pancake/Thursday tradition, so interesting. I even found lingon berry jam at our food co-op. I do not believe the other pans are Swedish... but they were probably used for Swedish cooking now and then!