A trend of no patterns

I like to sew my own clothes, but I'm no tailor. Just like I can't play the piano without sheet music, I need a sewing pattern if I want to make anything wearable. But WHERE are the cool patterns? I apologize for naming names but companies like McCall & Butterick seem to generally come up with soccer-mom type clothes that are just not the fresh & fly fashions I'm looking for. I'm seeking stuff that's kind of out there, super-chic, unique and yet still a regular sewing pattern in regular sizes with regular directions.

So far the best big commercial companies seem to be Vogue and Burda. I like Vogue patterns because some of them (especially the vintage stuff) have a lot of nice detail like pockets and linings, etc. Burda is European and so not your average JC Penney's outfits--they're a little wacky.

But what else? Is there some enterprising Bust reader out there who's started her own company producing bitchin' brand-new/retro clothing patterns? Cuz there should be. I'll keep looking into it and post any findings here.

Another outlet seems to be vintage patterns. For example, Groovy Juice has some pages of "Women's 70s Patterns" for sale. I also saw some authentic-looking 70s patterns at Deb's Recycled Sewing Patterns. An online store called Mrs. Cleaver's Kitchen has retro patterns for a tunic and pants, palazzo pants & maxi skirt, and a peasant blouse & apron. (This site is worth checking out just for the bizarre descriptions of when June Cleaver would wear each item.)

You may have noticed I appear to love the 70s. That's because those are the sunny bicentennial days of my childhood. From my point of view, everything was good and nice in the 70s. So now I'm hoping 70s fashion can take me back... way back.

No comments: