New format (slightly)

Because I only seem to post once a week with the playlist from my most recent hour of Beef Jerky Time, I've decided to stop calling each post "Beef Jerky Time [insert date here]," because it's getting kinda boring. Instead I'll try to incorporate playlists into each post with a modicum of artfulness, when possible. Though some weeks I might still just be throwin' out playlists alone, I promise to TRY TO INCLUDE SOME OTHER CONTENT for you. Let's just say I've been a little busy lately, and probably will be for some time to come, but I'm doing my best, yo.

So the news this past week: I was asked to co-DJ a dance party and it was so wicked fun I can't even believe it. I felt like I had the Ring of Power or something, because my previous ideas and careful plans went right out the window when I got a taste of what happens when you play Justin Timberlake and similarly CATCHY stuff for a crowd. What happens is that as a DJ I got beat-happy, and I was extremely reluctant to play anything that wasn't the absolutely best and danciest shit I could think of at that very moment. It was a scary and exhilirating edge to be perched on--the feeling that with one wrong move a whole happy roomful of people would suddenly sit down and ignore what I was doing. Fortunately my set was only an hour because that's about how long I could last at that outrageous pace before passing out. It was amazing and strange to feel like people's behavior depended, in a way, on me just pushing a button. I hope I can retain some semblance of my own musical tastes should such an event ever take place again. I did play the Pogues, Duran Duran, and The Beat, so I didn't completely abandon my choices to the siren song of Nelly Furtado's Promiscuous...

On to radio updates. This week's show (1/24/07) will be a children's hour--stories and songs. Stream it live at 7pm Eastern at WVEW.

Last week's list:
  • MacGyver theme
  • Le Rendez Vous: Manu Chao
  • In the Dark: Toots & the Maytals
  • Bamboleo: Gipsy Kings
  • Karma Coma: Massive Attack
  • There She Goes: The La's
  • Celestial Soda Pop: Ray Lynch
  • A New Career in a New Town: David Bowie
  • Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad: Derek & the Dominos
  • Fool's Gold: The Stone Roses
  • Chal Chamali Bagh: Krodhi soundtrack
  • Fisherman's Dream: Emerald

No comments: