Tolkien's birthday: radio special 1/3/07

First Beef Jerky Time of the year, and it's a special show dedicated to J.R.R. Tolkien. As I explained on-air, I've been feeling especially "Tolkien-y" lately as I just finished reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy (my first successful holiday run--I often try to read it around the solstice time but leave off somewhere in the first volume). John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born on January 3, 1892. There's certain music that seems to go with his work... for me anyway. It tends to be British (ish), a bit odd... sometimes plangent, sometimes jolly. I can't say enough excited, good things about the concept of Middle Earth. Yes I am a tremendous geek. Here's what got played.
  • Dolente: In the Nursery
  • The Black Swan: Bert Jansch
  • The Greenland Disaster (Sealing Song): Figgy Duff
  • "The Departure of Boromir," from The Two Towers: read by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Dark Island: Thistledown
  • Fine Horseman: Silly Sisters
  • "Of Herbs & Stewed Rabbit," from The Two Towers: read by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Ramble On: Led Zeppelin
  • Boy in the Gap/Banshee/Music in the Glen: Barde
  • "Farewell to Lorien," from The Fellowship of The Ring: read by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Gone Beyond: Akron/Family
  • The Road to Lisdoonvarna/The Lark on the Strand: Patrick Ball (celtic harp)
  • Gollum's Song: from The Two Towers soundtrack

No comments: