Frost keeps giving me a chance

A prose poem about weather:

The first frost warning I covered the tomatoes. It didn't freeze.

The second frost warning I did nothing. It didn't freeze.

The third frost warning I cut all the green and half-ripe tomatoes off the plants. I packed them in layers in cardboard boxes, with newspaper between each layer. They'll off-gas next to each other and help each other get ripe. It didn't freeze.

Then I remembered my butternut squashes. I cut them off the vines and let them "cure" in the garden for a couple days.

The fourth frost warning I dug up and potted a parsley plant and cut most of the rest of the parsley. I rubber-banded it in bunches. I stashed it in the crisper to use or give away. I also brought in the butternut squashes. I put them in a box in the front closet (hoping it's cool & dry there). I brought in the 2 houseplants I'd forgotten were on the porch. It didn't freeze.


Playlist from Beef Jerky Time 9*16*08:
  • Strange Things Happen Every Day: Olu Dara
  • Mandinka: Sinead O'Connor
  • Spring: St. Etienne
  • Rasputin: Boney M
  • Big Time Sensuality: Bjork
  • More Than Words: Roxy Music
  • Early Hours: Strung Out
  • What Have I Done to Deserve This: Pet Shop Boys f/Dusty Springfield
  • A Selection: Fishbone
  • What's the Use of Getting Sober (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again): Joe Jackson
  • (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais: The Clash
  • Sorted for E's & Wizz: Pulp
  • Take My Heart Away: Johnny Clegg & Savuka
  • Dil Nasheen: Bas Itna Sa Khawab Hai s/t

1 comment:

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Just for the record, we finally got a killer frost the night of October 17. It got my nasturtiums and green beans, but the parsley and marigolds are still doing fine. Guess they're frost-hardy.