The best bran muffin


As a family project we made bran muffins yesterday and they are SO good! I just wolfed down another one. I am really loving the warm, chewy, moist, rich and fiber-y taste of these muffins. The recipe is from Eating for Pregnancy: An Essential Guide to Nutrition with Recipes for the Whole Family, by Catherine Jones (Marlowe & Co., 2003). No, I'm not pregnant at the moment, I just love the recipes in this book. I even loaned it to an actual pregnant person and then made her give it back almost immediately because I needed to make a certain chicken bake! I just need this book around, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to eat wholesome, healthy foods. Or... or it would also be a good gift for someone who is actually pregnant.

Our muffin recipe is called "Bran Muffins with Dried Cranberries, Walnuts, and Candied Ginger" (pp. 50-51), and it calls for 3 1/2 cups of All-Bran cereal. Here's the batter with the All-Bran just added.


I used the recipe straight from the book without adapting, so I prefer not to transcribe someone else's intellectual property. Let me just say that the inclusion of minced candied ginger makes these muffins extra special. When photographing them I became obsessed with how the little chunks of ginger became small glowing gems nestled in the muffiny goodness.



For what it's worth, I note that All-Bran does have a lot of recipes on their site, including several muffin recipes. I was kind of tempted by the All-Bran brownies...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah-ha! I can now prove to my hubby that I am not the only person under the age of 50 who likes All-Bran! :-) I've made the muffin recipe on the back of the box before, but it didn't have ginger. That sounds like a yummy addition!