Rhubarb season

I made another pie! First one since Thanksgiving. I followed Michael Ruhlman's recipe for Be-Bop a Re-Bop Rhubarb pie. The result was definitely tasty, especially with some vanilla ice cream.

Before baking


After baking

Next I want to figure out how to make rhubarb pie with tapioca--they sell it at the farmer's market for a hefty sum (the pie, not the tapioca). Tapioca adds an extra little mouthfeel-something, though otherwise its barely noticeable. Will have to look into that.

Other uses for rhubarb? I usually make sauce, then put it on ice cream or pancakes or yogurt. Rhubarb strawberry pie is nice, but I feel like the seasons don't quite overlap. Also, I have trouble turning a fresh beautiful strawberry into cooked mush!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great looking pie! I've always used tapioca in my rhubarb pies - but I think it really just takes the place of cornstarch. You can use it in any fruit pie to help thicken things up.

Alice said...

that is a gorgeous pie. if only i could do that. my strawberry rhubarb pie was as yummy as i hoped-but you're right-total mush. the kids and dan were not fans--i felt betrayed. how could they not LOVE one of my favorite things? I'm over it.

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Thanks! This was my first lattice pie as far as I can recall, but pretty easy with Ruhlman's explicit instructions/illustrations. I was talking to someone recently who posited that "strawberry rhubarb" was actually a kind of rhubarb, and then people got confused and started adding strawberries too. That might explain the seasonal mismatch thing... ?

Krista said...

I adore rhubarb. It's brilliant with yogurt. I also love it in this coffee cake: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/02/big-crumb-coffee-cake/

I actually use a little more rhubarb than is called for, and a little less sugar with it. I like the tart.

"Prof. Kitty" said...

Krista--thanks for the link! That looks really good.