Music by the Month

This is the third month when I've posted Beef Jerky Time playlists in bulk rather than week by week. I'm just going to adopt this as my new Cabinet of Prof. Kitty SOP rather than feeling sorry for myself. One advantage of writing up several playlists at once is that I can take a longer view on what has really been burning up my airwaves lately.

But first, the playlist from the recent (June 26) fundraiser "Nite klub" dance that WVEW put on. 7 DJs over 4 hours seemed like a lot to cover. My set was about 35 minutes long, and I went on first. Unlike the last dance where I feel I played too much disco and "wedding" type stuff, I was really happy with this time. I rocked it, and people danced. This list is not exactly in order.

Prof. Kitty's set, 9pm, 6*26*09
  • Tonight's Today: Jack Peñate
  • Steppin Out: Lo-Fi Fnk
  • Lisztomania: Phoenix
  • Filthy (Gorgeous): Scissor Sisters
  • London Bridge: Fergie
  • Déjà Vu: Beyoncé w. Jay-Z
  • Just Dance: Lady Gaga
  • 4 My People: Missy Elliot
  • Adir Adirim (Nickodemus remix): Balkan Beat Box
Let's go back to some Beef Jerky Time playlists. First, back on 6*17*09 I had a really stressful day both at work and then at home, so I decided to just play smooth jazz for an hour and chill everyone out.
  • Sonnet for Sister Kate: Duke Ellington & his Orchestra
  • There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears: Bing Crosby with Bix Beiderbecke
  • Self Portrait in 3 Colors: Charles Mingus
  • Bayou Blues: Pete Fountain
  • I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling: Fats Waller
  • I'm Still in Love: Hadda Brooks
  • From Me: André Previn
  • Body & Soul: Benny Goodman Trio
  • Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You: Nat "King" Cole Trio
  • Moon Mist: Johnny Hodges
  • Just a Simple Melody: Ella Fitzgerald
  • If You Went Away: Joe Pass & Paulinho da Costa
  • A Night in Tunisia: Dizzy Gillespie
  • Some of My Best Friends are the Blues: Shirley Horn
  • Oh Lady Be Good: Teddy Wilson

The next week, I played a little old, a little new. I think my current favorite song from this show is "Brother Sport" from Animal Collective. They're already making "Best of 2009 so far" lists with their CD Merriweather Post Pavilion. I haven't heard the whole thing, but this song is great. Also, M83 has an awesome video for "Kim & Jessie" featuring the use of real 2x2 roller skates. And I like what I've seen so far of Dan Deacon--gotta find out more abut this guy! Here's the 6*24*09 playlist:
  • Brother Sport: Animal Collective
  • We're Gonna Save the Summer: Benett
  • Paris is Burning (Cut Copy remix): Ladyhawke
  • The Sound: Total Recall
  • Perfect Fit: Apostle of Hustle
  • Singt!: Rockformation Diskokugel
  • Paddling Ghost: Dan Deacon
  • Are You Sure?: Block of Yellow
  • Fantastic Cat: Takako Minekawa
  • I Go Crazy: Flesh for Lulu
  • Kim & Jessie: M83
  • Voilà l'Eté: Les Negresses Vertes
The following week was July 1, 2009, Canada Day! Because I have *ahem* Canadian connections, it wasn't too hard to figure out a whole show of fine Canadian sounds. Basically I discovered that because Canada is, like, a huge country, there is plenty of music that I already have that turns out to be Canadian. I tried to stay away from Stan Rogers and Gordon Lightfoot and keep things electro/techno/tapedeck/nuwave just like usual, with a smidge of 80s.
That brings us up to today, seven ate nine. I'm always glad to find more Neon Indian, and I also like "Two Dots" by Lusine. It's exactly the kind of electronic synth-type stuff I'm always going on about. Also glad to find out about another Swedish label, home of jj, that label being Sincerely Yours. Here's the 7*8*09 playlist:
  • Terminally Chil: Neon Indian
  • Feel the Hearbeat: Treacherous Three
  • No Voy a Morir: Palenke Soultribe
  • Two Dots: Lusine
  • Stillness Is the Move: Dirty Projectors
  • Controlar (XXXChange remix): Ceci
  • Song for No One: Miike Snow
  • Big Time Sensuality: Björk
  • From Africa to Malaga: jj
  • Warm Heart of Africa (f. Ezra Koenig): The Very Best
  • World In Motion: New Order
  • Starman (ATOM's Space Funk Journey): David Bowie mashup
  • Geddim!: The Herbaliser Band

No comments: