A Monday in Los Angeles

Maybe you've noticed that I love dim sum. I also have strange ideas about what might be a fun tourist attraction. For example, the last time I was in Paris, I visited the Paris Sewer Museum... neat!

Anyway, on our recent trip to Los Angeles we stayed an extra day to be touristy, and my family was super sweet by accommodating BOTH of my touristy requests: to visit Lunasia for dim sum, and to visit the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.


Lunasia--super premium dim sum restaurant. Five stars!


 
Lots of dark wood and sunshine.


 
Deep-fried Taro Cake (wu gok!!) Perfectly crisp and sweet.


 
This was a new one for me and a fast favorite: Pan Fried Turnip Cake with XO Hot Sauce



 
Pork Siu Mai



 
Pan-Fried String Beans


 
Soup Dumplings were another first, also known as XLB (xiao long bao). Inside each whorled dumpling is liquid soup--place one in your mouth carefully and all at once to get a delicious exploding soup experience.



Veggie Bean-Curd Wrap


 
Our table


 
Oh wait, more is coming...


 
Excellent and fluffy Char Siu Bao.


 
Shrimp siu mai.


 
Rice Noodle with Beef



The finisher: Sticky Rice Wrap. I learned from our hosts that when you eat these, you're admitting that you are done with everything else and ready for the "filler."


 

But it is such good filler! I'd eat a sticky-rice wrap anytime.



Lunasia doesn't have carts, instead you order from a menu. Our hosts told us that menu-ordering can be good because food is super-fresh and hasn't been pushed around on a cart for X minutes. It was pretty yummy, though I also enjoy the adventure of cart service.



Saying goodbye to Lunasia. I love you!!!




Next stop, Santa Monica Boulevard, Hollywood.... and the people who rest in peace there.







The younger Chaplin and his mother



We drove around a bit and could not miss Johnny Ramone. 











Till next time, Hollywood!

No comments: