My radio show: so much to love

A few notes on the following 2 playlists for my weekly radio show, Beef Jerky Time (WVEW). First, I learned a lot from the show I did back on Jan. 28th. I didn't mention it in my post for that show, but I forgot the main CD of new music I was planning to play that day. As a result I was forced to go to the WVEW vinyl stacks and pull out some older stuff. The show turned into a really fun mix and I got a lot of good feedback. It reminded me what Beef Jerky Time is supposed to be--a smorgasbord of musical selections from a range of eras and styles that makes everybody happy at least some of the time. So I'm consciously working on that, cuz it rocks.

Second, I was excited to discover "Well Thought Out Twinkles" by Silversun Pickups. I've gotten so used to electronic sounds that it was a pleasant surprise to hear a band that actually seems to play instruments. They sound so 1992 to me, in a good way. I like feeling 17 years younger.

Also, I got good feedback about the Ting Tings' "That's Not My Name." It is just a very good song, especially if you like "Hey Mickey" by Toni Basil. Click on the link below for a listen at their Myspace page.

I discovered Bat for Lashes through the video for What's a Girl to Do, which seems very British and cool, also quite Donnie Darko. How do they get those giant animal-headed bike guys hidden behind that tiny little lady?

Last, I am still crushed that my tape of Sigue Sigue Sputnik's "Flaunt It" broke years ago, perhaps from overuse. My friend put Big Lizard in My Backyard on one side and Flaunt It on the other. I listened to that tape a LOT during my ironic teenage years. Then one day in the early naughties, it just BROKE. "Memorabilia" was the best I could do using itunes alone. I will continue to keep an eye out for Flaunt It, hair product commercials and all.

2/25/09 playlist
  • Love Get Out of My Way: Milke
  • Gamma Ray: Beck
  • Sean Penn Blues: Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
  • Hyperballad: Bjork
  • Miss You: Thieves Like Us
  • Severina: The Mission UK
  • Beatdown Break Up: Broken Spindles
  • Well Thought Out Twinkles: Silversun Pickups
  • Games Without Frontiers: Peter Gabriel
  • Be Good: Tokyo Police Club
  • That's Not My Name: The Ting Tings
  • Gettin' Up: Q-Tip
  • What's a Girl To Do: Bat for Lashes
  • Stylostumpf: le hammond inferno

3/4/09 playlist
  • Hardest Geometry Problem in the World: Mark Mothersbaugh from the Rushmore s/t
  • Hong Kong Garden: Siouxsie & the Banshees
  • Avec Grand Vitesse: Mondfähre
  • Don't Change Your Plans: Ben Folds Five
  • Lagrimas de Oro: Manu Chao
  • Can I Get Get Get: Junior Senior
  • D.A.N.C.E.: Justice
  • I Love You, You Imbecile: Pelle Carlberg
  • Your Rocky Spine: Great Lake Swimmers
  • Who Loves the Sun: Velvet Underground
  • Hommage: Les Frères Checkolade
  • Follow Me to Carthage: The Mammals
  • Memorabilia: Sigue Sigue Sputnik
  • China Girl: David Bowie
  • Nhimutinu: mbira music by the Shona people of Zimbabwe

No comments: