Still Winter Radio Roundup


Hope that you can tune in to Beef Jerky Time tonight. I've got some tasty new tracks to share including Yeasayer remixes and new Massive Attack. I promise I won't play the new Lo-Fi-Fnk again though it is tempting. If you're in Brattleboro turn to 107.7 on the FM dial, otherwise you can stream live at wvew.org (7pm Eastern, Wednesdays).

Below are another month's-worth of playlists for the record. A few highlights:

It may be clear that I love Scandinavian pop, and I've found many great examples from Sweden, Norway and even Denmark. Now I've also found a Finnish band to love, Burning Hearts. Go to their myspace page and listen to "Night Animal"!

David Byrne has another awesome strange project, who'd have guessed!? This time it is a double-album inspired by the life of Imelda Marcos, which he has put together with Fatboy Slim and a load of featured voices. Visit the Here Lies Love site for the track list--and sign up to download the Santigold-fronted single "Please Don't."

New Vampire Weekend--hurray! Many have sniffed that this album is "just the same" as the last one. I loved the last one, so good. I already have a happy memory of dancing around the house with our smallest family member, gesturing with Valentines to super-catchy Afro-beats.

A free Dirty Projectors song, "Emblem of the World," has had a creeper effect with me. First I wasn't sure about it, then I listened again and liked it more, now I think it's great. You can sign up to download it at dirtyprojectors.net.

I'm fascinated by Xiu Xiu, who are they and what is up with their morose noisy sound? They remind me of being at my friend's house back in the 80s listening to what her brother liked, which was stuff like Fear, Foetus, Front 242, Shriekback and Coil. They are like Of Montreal on a worse-than-usual trip, man. Like.

Two more words: new Yeasayer. I think there has already been enough praise (hipsters love it, cool!) and complaining (hipsters love it, ew!) about this release. I love it. Am I a hipster now?


1*13*10
  • Funn: Gunchback Boogie Band
  • Four Dreams: Jesca Hoop
  • Night Animal: Burning Hearts
  • Do It Rock Steady: Spyce
  • Staying in Love: Raphael Saadiq
  • Swim Swam Swum: Sleepover
  • Horchata: Vampire Weekend
  • White Sky: Vampire Weekend
  • Cousins: Vampire Weekend
  • Graceland: Paul Simon
  • Seaweed Song: Passion Pit
  • Bearbones: Total Babe
  • Swisha: Ratatat

1*20*10
  • Friends: Band of Skulls
  • I Think I Like You: Donora
  • Junior Boys: Hazel
  • Kavola: Remmy Ongala & Orchestre Super Matimila
  • Hard to Live in the City: Albert Hammond, Jr
  • Screen Test: The Envy Corps
  • When My Time Comes: Dawes
  • Puerto Rican Jukebox: Panther
  • Humble Me: Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
  • Maria Ninguen (mari a l'amour): Brigitte Bardot
  • Dig a Pony: The Beatles
  • The Kick Inside: Kate Bush

1*27*10

2*3*10

2*10*10
  • Washington DC: Magnetic Fields
  • Crush on You: The Jets & Ready for the World
  • D.A.N.C.E.: Justice
  • Marhin' In: Lo-Fi-Fnk
  • Paris Is Burning: Ladyhawke
  • Pervert Pop Song: Plastilina Mosh
  • Sleepyhead: Passion Pit
  • Art of Kissing: Ball Boy
  • Swim Until You Can't See Land: Frightened Rabbit
  • The One Thing I Know: Kate Miller-Heidke
  • When I Grow Up: Fever Ray
  • Sweet Dynamite: Claudja Barry
  • All for You: Aceyalone

No comments: