Two years ago we refinished the two bedrooms in our house, basically removing the walls, adding insulation, then putting up new walls. Actually we didn't do any of that, we paid a friend. It took 3 months during which we slept in the living room and moved the children to whatever room was not being fixed up.
This time I want to do a similar project but in only 6 weeks. I'm thinking we'll need professional help. But I'd also like to DIY as much as possible. Today, that meant starting to remove wallpaper.
|Our dining nook with paper partially removed under windows, then I remembered to snap a pic|
|Now paper on right side is mostly removed, dark green paint peeps through|
A lot of questions came up! For example:
- Why would anyone paper their walls to look like wooden planks? (That's what we found underneath the flowered paper.)
- Does this green paint underneath the 3 layers of wallpaper contain lead?
- Are we supposed to get a building permit?
- How much worse is this room going to look before it gets better?
- Can we really do this in 6 weeks?
- Where will the TV that's also in this room live, since the kids are addicted to Busytown Mysteries and Bob the Builder?
Do you have any spring projects planned or in action? Have you ever stripped wallpaper or had to deal with lead?