I decided that endives are fascinating. They're somewhat bitter, so maybe it's part of a spring cleanse craving. For this month's challenge, which was basically to purchase and use an endive, I researched braised endive, braised endive with ham, endive with shrimp, with avocado, with Stilton, and with smoked trout. While they all sound delicious, I decided in the end to riff on a fennel salad someone brought to a work potluck. It was amazing, composed of shaved fennel, dill, oil-cured olives, and a white balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1 endive
- 1/2 cup oil-cured olives, pits removed
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 T white balsamic vinegar
- 1 T grapeseed oil (or any oil of choice)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 T chopped shallot
- Zest the lemon and place half the zest in a bowl or cup measure. Juice the lemon, add the vinegar and oil, salt and pepper, and whisk.
- Toss endive, olives, shallot, and vinaigrette. Garnish with fresh dill. Serve!
What do you do with endives? Do you like them?
Past challenges of 2013:
February: Cauliflower Pizza Crust.
March: Beef & Ale Hand Pies