Back on the air: Listen to Blackbeard's Delight on WVEW

Chesterfield Gorge, New Hampshire, April 6, 2013

One of my early intentions for this blog was to house the playlists that I kept for my radio shows on local Brattleboro radio. I had three shows one after the other back in the day, and my DJ name was always Prof. Kitty.

First was the Mix Tape Revue, which ran for about 3 months in early 2003. I played from tapes that people had made for me and added my own riffs and additions on their themes. (In 2002 it was still somewhat normal to talk about and even play cassettes.) In April 2003, I got a full-time job and moved my program slot to 10pm-midnight on Tuesday evenings. The name of that show was Makin' Candy, and it lasted from 2002-2005, when the old "pirate" station, rfb, was shut down by the FCC.

In late 2006, it licensed successor, WVEW-LP, took to the airwaves and I started a new show right away. This was Beef Jerky Time, airing Wednesdays from 7-8pm. I wrapped up Beef Jerky Time in 2010 for various reasons, mainly the impending birth of our son.

It's been almost three years and it's time for me to reclaim my voice in the community. I find radio to be perfect for me because I can speak my mind and be heard, but I'm still alone in an empty room. It's great for someone who is both an introvert and a total ham. I look forward to sharing the usual odd mix of whatever wonderful (and horrible and bizarre) music comes to hand each Thursday evening from 8-9pm! I am calling the new show Blackbeard's Delight, and describing it as "Treasured freaks & geniuses from Bach to Grimes." That should cover it.

Please tune in! The station is on your dial at 107.7 fm if you're in Brattleboro, or stream from wvew.org.

Here's the playlist from my first show this past Thursday:
  • Ezy Ryder: Jimi Hendrix
  • Casual: Here We Go Magic
  • Odessa: Caribou
  • I Confess: The English Beat
  • Your Woman: Cats on Fire
  • Marchin' In: Lo-Fi-Fnk
  • Hands of Love: Wall of Voodoo
  • Nadine (Memory Tapes version): Fool's Gold
  • New Song: Howard Jones
  • Fashion: David Bowie
  • 100 Other Lovers: DeVotchKa
  • My Punishment for Fighting: Rosebuds
  • We the Cats (Shall Hep Ya): Joe Jackson
  • Set Yourself on Fire: Stars
  • More Than This: Roxy Music
  • Feel So Close: Calvin Harris
  • Another Runaway: Ladyhawke
  • Connection: Rolling Stones
  • In Between Days: The Cure
  • Boy: Ra Ra Riot
  • Hots on for Nowhere: Led Zeppelin
  • Far Away: Cut Copy 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I listened to this first show (welcome back, Professor!) and with the exception of the Led Zep tune (I HATE Led Zeppelin) I thought this show was great! I can't believe you hadn't heard "Connection" by the Stones; that's one of my faves of theirs. I like the wild mix. You have a good voice for radio, Kitty.

I recommend this program to everybody.

-Troy