J'aime Vampire Weekend

I guess Vampire Weekend were on the cover of SPIN this past spring. Band to watch and all that. I missed it. I only discovered them in June it appears, but I love them lots. They are my autumn soundtrack, especially "M79." Their music sounds like someone in your dorm was listening to a lot of 80's era Paul Simon and Thomas Mapfumo and studying the balalaika and dating someone who wears a LOT of eyeliner and then put all those things together into delectable perfect pop music. "M79" is getting nominated as my favorite track of 2008. (Favorite from 2007? It was "2080" by Yeasayer. Visit their Myspace pages linked below to hear both!) I highly recommend getting not only their current CD but seeking out "Ottoman" from the Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist soundtrack as well as their adorable cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere." Yum! "M79" is especially delicious because it sounds ever so slightly like Sting is singing it.

Beef Jerky Time continues it reign over Weds. nite airwaves from 7-8pm on WVEW-LP. Here are some playlists, first from 10*8*08:
  • Naked As We Came: Iron & Wine
  • Crown of Love: Arcade Fire
  • Adrenaline: Emma Pollock
  • Matinee Idol: Aden
  • Love Vibration: Josh Rouse
  • Boyz: M.I.A.
  • Little Bit: Lykke Li
  • M79: Vampire Weekend
  • The Way We Get By: Spoon
  • 2080: Yeasayer
  • Rusty D-con-STRUCK-tion: Ashley MacIsaac
  • Time to Build: Beastie Boys
  • The Friend I Once Had: Club 8
  • Axcerpt: Mekons

The next week I played garage-type sounds, mostly. 10*15*08
  • Time Bomb: Rancid
  • Piste 01: Hifiklub
  • Comin' Around: Juliette & the Licks
  • Don't Cry Wolf: Willie Loco Alexander
  • Duality: The Martial Arts
  • I'd Be So Pleased: The Hi Fives
  • Second, Minute or Hour: Jack Penate
  • Devil Town: Groovie Ghoulies
  • 40 Boys in 40 Nights: The Donnas
  • Habit: Citizen Fish
  • Down: Rockin' Roadrunners
  • I'm in Love with What's-Her-Name: Dr. Frank
  • Life from a Window: The Jam
  • Minority: Green Day
  • My Jeanette: Squirtgun
  • House of Fun: Madness
  • Not the One for Me: Thee Wylde Maniacs
  • London Calling: The Clash
  • Maneater: Cathode

No comments: