Best of '09: The remixes



I think these 4 remixes are among the best songs of 2009.

Day 'n' Nite (Crookers remix): Kid Cudi

This is the soundtrack to my imaginary club life. It is just a genius, genius piece of work. Who are these Crookers guys anyway? They are an Italian DJ duo (they've also done great stuff to Fever Ray's "Seven"). As with almost any remix, I don't know the original song because this IS the song to me. Day 'n' Nite is an excellent soundtrack for when you need to feel amped and wrap-around-shades cool, whether it's under the disco ball, behind the wheel, or running fast down a deserted country road with nothing but beats and birds alive around you.

Go here to listen (click "Stream").


Nadine (Memory Tapes version): Fool's Gold


What I know of Fool's Gold is that they are an afro-pop type outfit from LA. So it sounds like Memory Tapes did a lot of de-afro-popping with this song. It has an adorable little plinky piano (ding! ding! ding! ding-ding-ding-ding!) and a sweet-sounding chorus that is actually, amusingly, kind of a kiss-off ("Don't baaaaaare your soul.... to me-e-e-e-e-ee.") Also, sax solo and wind chimes above wonderful synth effects. Very very satisfying.

Go here to listen (click "Stream").


Can You Tell (The Kids are Radioactive remix): Ra Ra Riot


This song almost brought me to tears last month. I was having a "driveway moment," which is what NPR calls it when you get home and park, but leave the radio (in my case, iPod) on to finish listening. Basically I was wallowing in self-pity about my small-town treadmill life (which is actually lovely and nothing to complain about!) and thinking, "This song is so cool and so weird, and maybe all my cool and weird days are behind me and I will just become a housewife listening to Michael Bublé and not knowing that there is GOLD LIKE THIS out in the world." Please please please spare me from this fate.

Listen at The Kids Are Radioactive's MySpace page (click on Ra Ra Riot RMX).


Rock Off Shake Off remix: Rye Rye


Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. BADADA. BADADA. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. BADADA. BADADA. If you don't mind a few swears and you need a great workout song, this is for you. Rock Off Shake Off is big sound and loaded with adrenaline and attitude. I find the remix/mashup with Daft Punk to be perfect and hilarious and seamless. I don't know who did the remixing--the N.E.E.T. label web site won't say. But go there and take a listen! (Click on Rock Off Shake Off remixes, there's only one.)

No comments: