Ginger-sesame baked tofu

I've been making this protein for years, it is very easy. The only problem is that after the tofu is baked, it takes on candy-like qualities and it's hard to stop eating. Be prepared to pace yourself.

Ingredients
  • 3 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu (I get it in bulk--maybe a pound?)
  • 4+ cloves garlic, minced or crushed
  • 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce

Assembly
  1. Cut the tofu into bite-sized chunks.
  2. Put it in a container with all the other ingredients. Make sure there is some head-room so you can shake things around.
  3. Marinate for at least 12 hours. Whenever you remember, give it a gentle shake or turn to distribute the flavors.
  4. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425˚. Oil a large baking dish with a little more toasted sesame oil, and pour in the marinated tofu. Arrange in a single layer.
  5. Bake about half an hour, turning after 15 minutes. I like it to be browned and sizzly.

Do cool before serving because these little chunks get very hot. We had this with some fried red cabbage (I added a dash of hoisin sauce and some sesame seeds) and a box of sesame-ginger rice mix. (Whoa! I hardly ever buy those boxes, but bulk rice costs $1 a scoop these days and I didn't have time to make our usual batch of brown rice. Excuses, excuses.)

More evidence I am not a food photographer.
(I know, I need lighting. It's "realistic" though, right?)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm - the only problem is that it takes on candy like qualities? Doesn't sound like a problem to me! Looks great!

"Prof. Kitty" said...

It also tastes just as good rock cold out of the fridge! This batch didn't last long.