Easy egg rolls at home

Did you know you can make your own egg rolls at home? I just found this out. If you have some egg roll wrappers and a quantity of boiling oil, you are good to go. I found my recipe on the cardboard insert in a package of Nasoya egg roll wraps. It basically involves browning ground pork (except I used turkey this time) and adding shredded cabbage, shredded carrot, scallions and ginger. It also calls for oyster sauce but I didn't have any--hoisin sauce did quite nicely. After cooking and cooling the filling, I followed the diagram for assembling the egg rolls.

Lay out the wrapper with a point facing away from you.


Place about 2 T filling in a line across the widest point of the wrapper.


Fold the point nearest you over the filling.


Fold in both sides. Wet the remaining far corner with water so it will seal.


Roll the whole thing up (away from you) so it creates a sealed egg roll.
Repeat with more wrappers until filling is gone.


Heat oil to 350˚. I used cheapo vegetable oil in a very small pan.


When heated, add your egg rolls. I did 3 at a time.



Fry, turning with tongs, until browned. This took 3-4 minutes.
Remove and drain on a paper towel.


Serve!

The recipe says to serve with ketchup and mustard or with sweet & sour sauce. Those all sounded odd to me so I made my own sauce: 2 parts tamari, 1 part hoisin sauce, 1 part water. Nice and salty and tangy. Being deep-fried seem to keep the egg rolls hot for a long time (so I didn't have to hold them in the oven while finishing frying, for example). They are excellent and were wolfed down by the whole family!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh yum! These look great. Now I can offer the hubby an alternative to takeout.

(And I agree about the oddness of some of the sauce recommendations. Who eats egg rolls with ketchup & mustard!?!?!?)