Whole30 Day 14, A Good Day

One of my favorite recipes, Turkey Shawarma, is ALLOWED! Happy happy.

Today was a good day, oh my goodness! Got up early with the kids, made them waffles they didn't eat, went shopping with the whole family, found my daughter some good resale pants, read Richard Scarry with both children, visited my mother, went for a run, played outside. No major cravings. No major meltdowns. Today was just like a lovely, normal life!

Here's today's food:

More "granola" (blueberries, almond butter, coconut flakes)
and BLACK COFFEE

Guacamole and carrot sticks

Random scramble (leftover veggies + 1 egg)

Tea & Seasnax

AWESOME dinner: Turkey Shawarma with requisite tomato relish, tahini sauce & pickles
Day 14 Reflections: I happened to look up one of my fave grill recipes (from my treasured Bon Appetit BBQ 2009 issue) for Turkey Shawarma with Tomato Relish & Tahini Sauce. I was thrilled to find it was completely Paleo compliant except for the pita bread. So we had it for dinner sans pita--deconstructed you might say. If you like Middle Eastern flavors AT ALL, you must make this dish. It's not hard, and it's SO worth it. Being able to eat this yummy food during our Whole30 makes me so happy... because I like nothing better right now than having something "normal" that is not spaghetti squash or yet another egg invention.

It occurred to me this morning that this is not the first time I've had whiny thoughts like "Not only can I not go without this forever, I don't even want to go without it for a DAY." This used to happen back when I was a bit of a smoker. The thought of having to Not Smoke would throw me into a panic. It was very depressing to consider a life without cigarettes, even though I knew that's what I had to do. I couldn't believe I'd gotten myself into a situation where even though my habits were unhealthy, I so WANTED to do them anyway. But that is how addiction works, right? Now, I'm not sure one can be addicted to a food category like white flour or sugar or whatever. Can one? But I find it interesting that I've run across this addictive thought pattern before. I recognize the voice of my inner drama queen who just can't handle not getting what she wants for more than a few hours. Now just you hush, lady. Only 16 more days to go.

No comments: